Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Silly Does It

Silly does it because it makes sense.

Recently I heard the creative process described by an artist as the thought that manifests immediately prior to the thought that says, "You can't do that." (Mostly) childhood issues throw roadblocks before us that make us withdraw from being creative. You can't color outside the lines. Oh, that doesn't look like a doggy. This poem doesn't rhyme. Misguided attempts to make us fit within the norm helped kill the creator within each and every human being that wants to get their art out.

A favorite activity I use to get things flowing takes the rhyme and meter of song lyrics or poetry and inserts your own words. Childhood nursery rhymes have an innate goofiness that makes them especially resourceful.

What '70s lyrics could these replace?
I believe in Santa Claus - he's a big, fat man - who lives in a can OR
I believe in Sally Ann - she's one great pet - the best one yet.

Nursery rhymes
Stash, stash, stash your cash - Save it in the bank - Be sure you save plenty of loot - In case you break your flute OR
Gerry had a brand new cam - He put it in his car - If he waited until today - He wouldn't get too far. OR
I see lizards - I see cats - Next come dogs - Then come rats.

OK, OK, I hear you yelling "Uncle." Don't get caught up in the words. The goofiness is the point. Get goofy. Get loosey goosey. Get busy and try this exercise and I think you'll find it is a springboard to a very productive writing session. - Bethany Moran

No comments:

Post a Comment