Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Setting Boundaries

I've been absent for a few days to devote all my efforts to the final rewrite of my novel. This morning I completed editing and ran the spell check!
The next step I'll take is to revise my margins. During the writing process I condense the margins all around to half an inch in order not to waste paper. To submit a manuscript the standard margin settings appear to be one inch all the way around the double-spaced page.
Earlier I selected several literary agents from the 2009 Writer's Market Deluxe Edition. In choosing potential agents I ensured they accepted horror genre works. Also, I reviewed entries for their acceptance percentages, such as what percent of nonpublished submissions they review.
Finally, each agency has their own submission packet requirements. If you wondered about the importance of illustrating your hook at the beginning of your work, it's important to know that most agents want the first chapter or first fifty pages of your work. Some only want to review the first two pages. You will also send a single-spaced cover letter. The instructions will specify whether you will add a paragraph summarizing your work in the cover letter or if a second 1 to 2 page summary is required.
Think of the summary as the description of your work as it will appear on the book jacket. This sounds easy, after all you've devoted yourself to the project for months or years, it should be a simple matter to compose your summary. However, I found this the most difficult part. My suggestion is that you go through your work and review each chapter. At the end of each chapter write a 2 - 3 sentence description of what just took place. Put your chapter notes together and you have a summary.
- bethany moran

No comments:

Post a Comment